M–L–XL (Medium, Large, Extralarge) is a design studio that works across different disciplines, including furniture design, installations, graphic design, type design and publishing. The studio, with offices in Venice and London, was founded by Marco Campardo and Lorenzo Mason, and focuses on research, experimenting with languages, techniques and materials.
In recent years, Marco and Lorenzo have given life to several acclaimed projects, including the Breakfast Pavilion (2017), an exhibition curated at the Venice Art Biennale, appreciated by the international press specializing in the design and art; “Heavy Formal Exercise” installation (2017) in the Turbine Hall of the Tate Modern; as well as participated in and shaped numerous international exhibitions, such as The House Electric (2018) during the Venice Architecture Biennale, Plastic Scene (2018), Ready Made Go 4 at Ace Hotel London (2018) and Trans–Form at Mint Shop, the Italian Pavilion at the Design Biennial in London (Somerset House 2016); installation design of the Angola Pavilion during the 2013 Venice Biennale (awarded with the Golden Lion); design of the Italian pavilion at the 2010 Venice Biennale. Through these projects, the studio has developed its own visual language, radical and personal, that brings together objects, spaces, and installations.
M–L–XL was born from a number of different activities set-up jointly by Marco and Lorenzo: graphic design and art direction office Tankboys (2005—2017), Automatic Books publishing house (2008—2017), an independent gallery space XYZ.
Head Office, Calle del Traghetto,
San Polo 2811B, 30125 Venezia, Italy
UK Office, 22 Grenier Apartments,
18 Gervase Street, London SE15 2RS, UK
Sternberg Press, Self Publish, Be Happy, MER Paper Kunsthalle, Kaleidoscope, Riso Museum Palermo, Pig Magazine, Retrosuperfuture, Tate Modern, Musei Civici di Reggio Emilia, Fondazione Bevilacqua La Masa, La Biennale di Venezia, Beyond Entropy Foundation, Skira Publishing, Foscarini, Maxdesign, Pallucco, Pentagram, Vice UK, Kunsthalle Wien, Museum Of Architecture London, Morphine Records, Cafè Oto, Teatro Fondamenta Nuove, Ace Hotel London, Casinò di Venezia, Qendra Marrëdhënie, Vinovero Venice, Triennale di Milano.
M–L–XL is a company registered in Italy. VAT: 04409890276. Registered office: San Polo 2811B, 30125 Venice, Italy.
- The Breakfast Pavilion, A Plus A Gallery, Italy, 2017
- Club House, Gigantic Gallery, Italy, 2016
- Manifesto, Otrascosas de Villarrosas, Spain, 2012
- Manifesto, Shandong University of Design, China, 2011
- Manifesto, XYZ Gallery, Italy, 2009
- Trans–Form, Mint Shop, London, 2018
- Ready Made Go 4, Ace Hotel, London, 2018
- Plastic Scene, London Design Festival, 2018
- The House Electric, A Plus A Gallery, Italy, 2018
- Signals from the Periphery, Tallinn Art Hall, Estonia, 2017
- White Flag, Triennale Design Museum, 2017
- White Flag, London Design Biennale 2016, Somerset House
- Rob Pruitt Flea Market, La Biennale di Venezia, A Plus A Gallery, 2015
- The New Italian Design, San Francisco, USA, 2015
- Graphic Design Words, Triennale Design Museum Milano, Italy, 2011
- Quali cose siamo, Triennale Design Museum, 2011
- One Year of Photocopies, DOCVA, Milan, Italy, 2010
Talks & Workshops
- 25 variazioni elastiche per forme relativamente fragili, workshop at V-A-C Foundation, Venice, 2019
- Workshop at Bozen Design University, 2018
- How to Make Books, workshop at Cornell University, Rome, 2015
- Basic Type Design Course, type design course at A plus A Gallery, Venice, 2014
- Pagine di Design, conference at the Design Library, Milan, 2013
- About Limits, workshop at Bozen Design University, 2011
- Tankboys VS Temp, workshop with Temp studio, Iuav University, Venice, 2010
- Teaching at Iuav University, Master in Moving Images Arts, 2019
- Teaching at Boston University, 2016—today
- Teaching at Scuola Italiana Design, 2016—today